Saturday 28 October 2017

Here's a Mad Idea...

*WARNING- Ramble Imminent!*

Dracula's America is out in the wild, the first Supplement is 'in the can', as they say, and the second supplement is all but complete...

So, what next?

Well, I have several ideas at the moment- but I fear none that will be picked up by any Publisher...
Not because they are bad ideas (or at least, I hope not!), but because I want to tackle some genres that are admittedly already extremely well-covered by existing games.

Mainly, I'm talking about Fantasy here!

Getting a game published was a long-held ambition of mine- not for the fortune and glory of course, but for the joy of creating something that other people can enjoy; something that let me put my own stamp on a genre that I love. Dracula's America has let me do that in spades, of course- but Fantasy is the Big One!
Now, I have a Fantasy setting that I've used many times in the past- in various rules-drafts, creative writing pieces and RPGs. It is unashamedly a melting-pot of all the tropes you can think of (but I like to think that there is a reason why things become clichĂ©s in the first place!)- from Tolkien to the Old World of Warhammer...

I have a tweaked version of the core Dracula's America rules that I have been tinkering with for a while, and a classic Fantasy theme that is ripe for a Skirmish game set within the ruins of an ancient underground Dwarf Empire, the shanty-town of adventurers and treasure-hunters that has sprung up on the surface, and the surrounding wilderness.
It will focus on rival Dwarven Guilds vying for the relics of their past and the Human, Elf, Orc and Minotaur sell-swords (amongst others) that join them on their expeditions.
It will take the concepts I love about Mordheim and Frostgrave, but it will bring my own design philosophies to the Fantasy Skirmish genre...

...I just have no idea how to go about doing this in such a way that it will reach other players, and so let the game grow organically!

So, what do folks think? Could I use this Blog as a platform- publishing the initial drafts of the rules as I go? Can I add a PDF here so that you can download it? Is there a way to set up a kind of forum for those interested to discuss their thoughts and own ideas/house-rules- and bearing in mind that I have very little technical know-how whatsoever...
It would be non-profit of course- no production values, no fancy artwork or professional photography- this is unashamedly for the joy of game design, and for the love of the Fantasy genre in general!

Do people need it? Maybe not! Will it be a fun, free game with a life of it's own? I hope so!
Am I as mad as the proverbial box of frogs? Most likely!


Think of this as our own little corner of a very crowded market...

Any takers?

5 comments:

  1. I follow a few blogs which are used to promote/publicise their personal rule-sets, and enjoy them all - especially when they use those rules for some BatReps. Indeed, I have my own set of simple 'pick up and play' mechanics which I use from time to time to post a quite AAR to two.

    As a result I think using this blog to discuss/develop such a game would be good, especially as you should naturally attract some sort of crowd as a result of the popularity of "Dracula's America" - which currently is causing my own blog a lot of additional 'hits' because I'm painting/posting about it.

    I love the idea about the dwarves etc, and would definitely try and contribute ideas/feedback. The only word of warning I would give is that the more successful ones imho, seem to be the ones who don't just post about their game and its design - as they seem to post infrequently and lose momentum. A healthy mix of what other hobby-related shenanigans and game design would be my advice. Hope this is useful..?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with everything that Blaxkleric said. Your forum should be a good platform for generating ideas and getting feedback, although your current lack of followers may be an obstacle. So promote your blog and ideas on forums like the Lead Adventurers.
    Would I be interested in a fantasy version? Not really, to be honest, but that doesn't mean there isn't a market out there for it. Some folk may prefer a fantasy setting to a Wild West setting. Anyway, I wish you luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks very much for the replies you guys- that's the kind of advice I need as I'm very new to this internet-based malarkey!
    As I say, this would simply be a chance to scratch my Fantasy Game Design itch- if it gets relegated to a dark corner and only played by myself and a few friends then that's fine- and it certainly won't impede the gaming/painting stuff I've been posting up until now; I enjoy writing that kind of thing way too much!

    Speaking of which, I have a game this afternoon- not sure what it will be yet, but expect an AAR in the week...

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES!...I mean..yes, please...My wife and I are very happy with Dracula's America, but she asked me about a similar system for a fantasy setting, and I didn't know what to answer her (despite our long-running time playing Song of Blades and Heroes and Frostgrave). So here are two future playtesters for your drafts.

    (But Bryan Scott is right: your blog needs more visibility. Lead Adventure participation is a good way to achieve it)

    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Matt- I've been tinkering away in the background on Shattered Realm lately, and I think I'll have something to share with you soon. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get a PDF uploaded on here??

    ReplyDelete

Arnor Lives! Plus of course some rambling...

With the weather (only slightly) curtailing my wanderings in the Great Outdoors, I have been back at my painting desk feverishly churning th...