Tuesday 14 November 2017

Camels and Catastrophes- The Sudan.

Another historical game with the local gamers- this time a Sudan scenario using Warlord Game's Black Powder rules. We use Warlord's 'Big Three' (that is, Hail Caesar, Pike & Shotte and Black Powder) quite often in our historical gaming- they share very similar core mechanics so we can just get on and play without having to look too much up, even if it's been a while between games- the downside of course is that all three are just different enough that it can be easy to get mixed up as to the way certain rules work (or maybe that's just me) in a certain 'period'!

Anyway, this is the fifth or sixth game we have played set in the Sudan- it's not a war I know a great deal about (surprise, surprise!), but I do know that you can have camels...
Hence, I'm usually on the Sudanese side, and I always have as many guys riding camels as possible!

The Scenario was to be a simple breakthrough- the Brits (Tony) and their Egyptian allies (Tom) had to fight their way up the table and off to freedom, while the Sudanese (John, Andy and myself) could sweep in majestically from either flanking edge on their camels and lay waste to the enemy columns!

*The British brigade- including the accursed cavalry! All the models used in this game are 20mm plastics owned and painted by John.

*My own brigade- including my glorious camels in the centre!

It all started so promising, as the over-confident Egyptians forged perilously far ahead of the sluggish Brits (Tom forgot to designate a stopping point when issuing orders, so his whole brigade moved their full speed straight up the valley- that's 36" for Infantry, and 54" for Cavalry!!).

*The Egyptians get ahead of themselves...

Andy's brigade went straight up the centre to meet them, while my own Fanatical troops swept on from the right flank- my skirmishers taking up position in a ruined building to hopefully get some enfilading fire, while my camels readied themselves for a charge in the next Turn- I was wary of getting stuck in too early and being counter-charged by the British Lancers straight away, but in hindsight I probably should have just got stuck in while the Egyptians were in column and cut a hole through their formation. My fixation on preserving my undoubtedly valuable camels would prove my undoing...

*My cavalry get in position to catch the Egyptian column in the flank!

Meanwhile John (the Mahdi himself!) forgot to state his orders before rolling his command test- this resulted in an automatic Blunder! Instead of sweeping on from the left flank to close the trap on the Egyptians, his whole brigade retreated. Since they were already off-table, we decided that this would delay them for a whole Turn while he got them back into position.

The Brits continued to advance cautiously (Tony only managed one Order on his command test), but would be ready to counter-charge my cavalry in the next Turn if I didn't act quickly- the Egyptians managed to shake their troops out into line and face my flanking force, while their skirmishers decided they had bitten off more than they could chew and fled before my screaming Tribesmen- ceding control of the oasis to my forces!

*Mid-day at the oasis... My skirmishers take position in the ruined building to the right.

The Sudanese were still feeling good at the start of our second Turn- Andy managed to bring up the rest of his troops to reinforce the oasis and get in position to engage the Egyptians, while I got the bulk of my infantry up to join them- so far, so good... And then I failed the command test to get my cavalry moving- they just stood there, milling in confusion (I reasoned that the camels were stubbornly refusing to shift) as the British bore down upon them!

In the next Turn, the Brit cavalry leapt into life and crashed into my poor, dithering camelry- Lancers to the front of me, and Hussars to the left! Predictably, my much-vaunted camels evaporated like rain in the desert...

*Yep; this is going to hurt a little...

Meanwhile, the plucky Egyptians- now supported by their British allies- had a good round of fire that saw my poor infantry disordered. If I attacked in my next Turn it would be piecemeal, and easily repulsed...

Sudanese Turn 3 rolled around, and my surviving cavalry (only of the horse-kind, unfortunately) launched a desperate charge on the Egyptian lines on their own Initiative and overran a cannon. Making a sweeping advance into the flank of some Infantry, I rolled badly and couldn't capitalise- in fact, the Egyptians stood firm and drove me back with heavy casualties!
Meanwhile Andy made a spirited attack up the centre against some redcoats, while his own camelry struck the left flank of the Egyptian formation; but some devastating closing fire and bad dice rolls saw them repulsed.

*Andy gets stuck-in!

Finally, after missing a Turn, the Mahdi had his disorganised troops poised and ready to sweep on from the left flank and close our trap before it could falter- and John promptly failed his command test! There were jeers from the Brits and Egyptians- and also a few from his underlings- as our fearless commander's brigade stood around just off-table, seemingly content just to watch his loyal warriors get cut down in the valley below!

I was first to go- my brigade was broken by a hammer-blow of Lancers and Hussars over the next couple of Turns, and so my leader (riding my last remaining camel) and a handful of ragged survivors were left to flee across the dunes to safety, shaking their fists and spears in defiance and cursing the Mahdi's name!

*Next time, you British dogs; next time!!

All credit to Andy- he managed to hold out just long enough for John's brigade to finally enter the battle, but it was too late! A small British Naval force had brought up a gatling gun, and set it up on the right flank (once occupied by my own troops) where it rained fire down on his beleaguered forces. Riddled with fire and already weakened by the fierce fighting, Andy's brigade finally broke when the Hussars returned from harrying my fleeing forces and crashed into them.
The Mahdi redeemed himself somewhat with a vicious attack on the right flank, but with two of the three Sudanese brigades broken he was forced to withdraw...

*The battered Sudanese- now reinforced by the Mahdi's troops- put up a brave fight... But the end is nigh as the Union Jack flutters proudly on the desert breeze...

A victory to the British and Egyptian forces, and a highly entertaining and cinematic battle as always!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Arnor Lives! Plus of course some rambling...

With the weather (only slightly) curtailing my wanderings in the Great Outdoors, I have been back at my painting desk feverishly churning th...