Friday 17 November 2017

Nostalgia Hit, Episode 3- It's a Rat's Life...

Earlier this week, the Skryre Warlocks took to the Blood Bowl pitch yet again (this time with 4 Gutter-Runners in the lineup), for another optimistic attempt at sporting glory...

...To cut a long (and exceedingly painful) story short, we got massacred by our opponents, the Geltdorff Griffons- who knew those rich-boy humans could be so vicious?!

*The Warlocks take command of the early game- it's all downhill from here, lads!..

Things started really well, with the Warlocks deftly breaking through the Griffon's line and scoring an early Turn 2 Touchdown. However, this success turned out to be our undoing as the human's 'fight or flight' response kicked in and they overwhelmingly went for the 'fight' option...

Not even the Orcs we played last time were so ruthlessly brutal- completely abandoning any attempt at finesse and strategic play, the Griffons set about murdering the Warlocks- even when they had the ball, their carrier stood poised one square away from my Endzone for several Turns while the rest of the Team set about my hapless rodents to really put the boot in. Some truly terrifying rolls saw my Dugout quickly begin to fill up with squealing Skaven who resolutely refused to come back out onto the pitch (sensible fellows...).
My tactic of making a hole with my Stormvermin, tying opponents up with Linerats and then scampering through with my Gutter-Runners for a Touchdown went out of the window as my dwindling Team were gradually, excrutiatingly, ground down by the murderous Humans!

*The dead and the dying begin to mount up at a terrifying rate. Squeak!

However, there were some slight rays of sunshine- best of all was my Gutter-Runner Skuttle declaring a Blitz, making three successive Dodge rolls to evade his human tormentors, then two Go For It rolls, followed by a successful Block on the Griffon carrying the ball! The surprised human was shoved back and the ball landed neatly in Skuttle's eager claws.
An enraged human Lineman ended Skuttle's short-lived triumph, and his terrified squeak was cut short by a sound very reminiscent of a giant, humanoid rat-man's neck snapping like a dry twig...

*Go on Skuttle, my son! You're a superstar; you're gonna live forever!...

*...Oh dear.

Skuttle, you will be remembered.

I'll admit that I'm starting to feel a little disheartened by these abject defeats. It is now apparent that my regular opponents Tom and Tony are nothing but brutish oafs with little appreciation for the art of 'Beautiful Blood Bowl', as practiced by the Warlocks.

Hence (and against my better judgement), I've recruited a Rat Ogre for next time! And failing that, my new Dwarf Team just arrived- if you can't beat 'em...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Arnor Lives! Plus of course some rambling...

With the weather (only slightly) curtailing my wanderings in the Great Outdoors, I have been back at my painting desk feverishly churning th...